Dixon Sister Cities
Dixon, Illinois U.S.A.

May 17, 2016 Minutes

July 19, 2016

Dixon Sister Cities Association

Board Meeting

May 17, 2016

5:45 PM


Called to order:  President Ray Schmidt at 5:50 PM.

Board members present:  Judy Arnould, Laura Brown, Jim Brown, Sue Coers, Ellen Mumford, Meg Schmidt, Ray Schmidt, Peggy Ulferts, and Cathy Seagren, which made a Quorum.

Absent:  Elise Ulferts-Hume and Geoff Vanderlin-excused.

Association Members: Carol Jones

Agenda:  Accepted with the addition of Flags in New Business requested by Ellen Mumford.

Minutes:  The minutes were approved as submitted.

Treasurer’s report: Treasurer, Jim Brown reported a current bank balance of $18.140.03 as of today. There are no outstanding checks.

Ray and Meg submitted a bill or $190.00 for two registrations, at $95.00 each, for registration for the Illinois Sister Cities Conference.  This was previously approved.


Membership:  There are no new members this month. It was noted that thank you notes are to be sent to new members and donors as was planned in April.

Public Relations & Website: Fundraising: No new information.

German Committee: No report.

Irish Committee:  No report.

Kenya Committee:  Cathy Seagren reported for Geoff Vanderlin. Friend in Thika, John Kamau has been named Journalist of the year(Jennifer Wanjiru). Geoff has not had contact with Bill Kariuki and it appears he has had the incorrect email as Cathy Seagren has had communication. Bill indicated that 2017 might not be best for visit as it is an election year. He also said that Dr Ikenye has been attempting to get contact with officials since form of local government has changed.

Russia Committee:   No Report


Memorial Fund Project:  Ellen has had contact with John Morley. There has been difficulty working with him. She will continue to try, but also has permission to look to other businesses.

Office at City Hall: Discussion about new office. Ellen Mumford has toured the new building and there is sufficient storage and place for us to have an office. We need to decide (if asked) if we want to be under the new umbrella of groups being created by the city. It appears each organization(such as Main Street) will maintain their autonomy but there will be a coordinator linking the groups. Ray Schmidt will contact Mayor Arellano regarding our space.

Highway Signs:  Eric Eglund has been contacted. He has the permit to move our Route 2 sign from the west. Ellen will maintain contact. Discussion about getting the additional signs from someone other than John Morley as with our other project. Morley’s did the art work originally,


501(C)3 Tax filing 2016:  President Ray Schmidt indicated we have notification from the IRS that they were in error when they removed our 501(C)3 status. This has been corrected. John Berg has been given the information and it is filed with the secretaries minutes and with treasurer, Jim Brown.

Ellen Mumford was informed by John Groshans(Riverfront) that he needs new flags. Maintaining a supply of flags has been approved previously. Geoff Vanderlin will be contacted by Cathy Seagren to see if he has some in hand. If not, he needs to order.


The next board meeting will be Tuesday, June14, 2016 at 5:45 PM at the Dixon Public Safety Building. This is to be verified by Cathy Seagren as it is a week earlier than normal.

A motion was made and seconded to adjourn. This carried unanimously.

Respectfully submitted,

Cathy Seagren, Secretary